A typical problem associated with puppy playpens is that they can slip around a little too much. Thus, we have decided to create this guide with some of the best tips on how to keep your puppy’s playpen secure. Continue reading to find out how to stabilize your furry friend’s playpen.
how to stabilize a dog playpen?
It’s no secret that leaving your puppy unattended for long periods has the potential to be incredibly problematic. One of the issues with leaving your puppy alone is that they are likely to get up to all types of mischief around your home and can even get hurt. In contrast, caging your sweet pup can cause prolonged suffering, which you certainly want to avoid as a loving dog owner.
That’s why puppy playpens are so beneficial. The playpen provide enough room for your puppy to move around freely without causing any trouble. However, many dog owners find that their puppy playpens can quickly become unstable. We have outlined some precautions to take to ensure that your playpen remains secure and offers peace of mind while you leave your puppy to roam freely.
Step One: Choosing the Right Playpen for Your Puppy
Before attempting to keep your canine’s playpen secure, it’s vital that you have the right one. You may be fighting a losing battle if you have an unsuitable pen for your puppy. You should consider the following features when choosing a stable playpen for your puppy:
- Construction – Even though this might be a given, you should begin by looking for the sturdiest playpen available. Not only are these playpens categorized as being more stable, but you also don’t need to worry about the quality of the playpen. It would also be beneficial to choose a playpen with heavy and thick bars, as these additions help to withstand chewing.
- Size – The pen you select for your pet should offer enough space for your puppy to freely move around. Keep in mind that the bigger your puppy is, the larger the playpen should be.
- Accessories – Some animal pens come equipped with accessories that might reduce the structure’s mobility. Examples of these additions include stabilizers for the pen. Furthermore, these playpens might also include roofs, which offer extra weight to help ground the pen.
- Materials – There’s no doubt that the materials used in the construction of the playpen should be of high quality. This helps to ensure the product’s durability. Furthermore, the weight of these materials should also be considered, as it can help add stability.
- Setup – Keeping the installation process in mind when selecting the right play area for your dog would be incredibly beneficial. Many playpens are constructed by placing various panels together. These structures might be easier and more convenient to assemble. However, these aren’t as stable as products with more complex installation procedures.
Step Two: Understanding the Floor Surface
The next element you should consider when making your animal pen more stable is the type of floor you plan on placing this structure on, as some floors are more useful than others when maintaining the sturdiness of the structure.
You want to ensure that the floor this playpen is placed on top of isn’t hindering the stability offered. Tarp and linoleum are exceptional options for enhanced stabilization. Alternatively, you can place various slip-proof carpets or mats in the location where the playpen is placed.
Try to ensure that you purchase a high-traffic carpet that’s as plain as possible. Doing this helps prevent having to clean up this area too often. You should also ensure that the flooring you ultimately choose is tightly installed and secure. All of these factors help to promote stability when constructing and using an animal playpen.
Step Three: Using Anchors for Enhanced Stability
Anchors are equipped to work wonders when it comes to stabilizing your puppy’s playpen. Your model might not have come with any stabilizer. However, you can use any object that’s flat-bottomed, heavy, and difficult to budge. Some common examples would be:
- Concrete bricks
- Pieces of heavy furniture
When enhancing the stability of this animal pen, you might decide to place it against one or two walls. This can work perfectly if you place the playpen in a well-lit spot that receives enough airflow, as this is going to ensure your puppy’s safety and comfort. You can then increase the pen’s stability by fixing the anchors against the sides that aren’t touching these walls.
Step Four: Taking Your Dog for a Walk
It’s common for playpens to move around and offer reduced stability because your pet is hyperactive and restless from being left inside the structure for extended periods. If you’re experiencing an unstable playpen, you should ask yourself if it’s your dog who is trying to communicate something to you.
An excellent solution to calming your dog’s excess energy levels in a healthy way would be to take them for a walk. You might decide to exercise with them for a significant amount of time before placing them in their playpen.
After completing this walk with your furry friend, you’re likely to find that they’re ready for lighter play inside the structure. Otherwise, they might wish to rest instead, which can help ensure that your animal pen remains secure.
Maintaining a stable playpen for your puppy isn’t an easy task. It takes some work, but it isn’t impossible to achieve. With the correct information and some patience, you’re likely to find that your puppy is happy with the environment surrounding this playpen and won’t cause any problems.
Remember that puppies are energetic and naturally curious. Therefore, taking them out for a while is going to help them appreciate the safety and comfort offered by this structure, instead of getting sick and restless from being in tis confined space. If all else fails, don’t forget to add some anchors to your structure. Good luck!